Address, city & state
Cell phone number & email address
HEALTHCARE REVENUE SERVICES LEADER
Extensive experience in patient access / patient financial services / revenue cycle operations.
- Demonstrated capabilities include strategic planning and operational performance best practices supporting clinical practice, revenue cycle, optimized reimbursement and patient experience.
- Expertise interfacing with information technology in facilitating system implementations, workflow and work process refinement.
- Skilled in program, project, business and client relationship management, staff training, and mentoring of personnel.
- Have developed and promoted cultures of quality, compliance and continuous performance improvement and has shared expertise on regional and national levels.
CENTER POINT HOSPITAL, Centerville, NY
222 bed acute care community hospital providing emergency, acute care and hospice services with approximately 50,000 emergency visits per year.
Director of Access Services, 12/2012 – 11/2013. **New administration. Resigned.
Spearheaded the rehabilitation of Access Services including space, management team, staffing, systems processes and procedures to transition from manual log books to electronic systems.
- Redesigned Emergency Department Exit processes improving data accuracy and increasing point of service (POS) cash collections by 25%.
- Improved pre-registration and financial screening work flow resulting in elimination of same day surgery administrative delays.
- Refined work flow developed and conducted training to ensure compliance with Medicare Secondary Payor regulations resulting in 100% compliance in Medicare Audit.
- Initiated process to meet compliance with regulations for Opt Out and Advance Directives at 100%.
VALLEY HEALTH & HOSPITALS SYSTEM, San Francisco, CA
Multi-site health system serving 15 cities with a 574 bed acute care university affiliated Level 1 Trauma Center with 90,000 emergency visits per year, 8 Free Standing Ambulatory Health Centers, primary care and specialty practices with a million + outpatient & ancillary visits per year.
Director, Patient Access, 07/2006 – 12/2012.
- Coordinated strategic planning and development of a new Patient Access Department, retooling, training and integrating diverse ambulatory and other “clerical” staff to incorporate within a finance model. Designed workflow and process to simultaneously meet quality, customer experience, financial and compliance goals and best practices.
- Converted $57 million and $78 million of No Pay Emergent Account charges to Medicaid reimbursement over two years, resulting in reimbursement of $9.6 million and $13.2 million respectively.
- Restructured financial screening enrollment processes in meeting Medication Assistance Program compliance yielding an additional $1.2 million in annual reimbursement and significantly increased enrollment for capitated coverage product.
- Dramatically improved productivity, efficiency and client satisfaction, increasing financial screening from 140 to 450 client screenings per day while maintaining staff levels, through leading the design and implementation of a “LEAN” financial screening model.
- Spearheaded multi-disciplinary project resulting in sustained elimination of denials for emergency admissions by integrating financial screening processes and quality monitors at registration, leveraging systems, inter-disciplinary communication and training.
- Redesigned emergency registration, workflow reducing patient wait time from 45 to 6 minutes.
- Initiated and directed eligibility and enrollment program for a major initiative to serve new uninsured/underinsured clients resulting in enrollment of 20,000 clients in one year.
- IT Development: Managed and installed enterprise IT systems software and programs including enhancement, interface and installation and served on selection teams and in project lead roles to meet and exceed corporate and compliance goals, resulting in successful implementations.
- Established relationships and developed Internship Programs providing business experience for students, enriched community relationships and significantly augmented additional, trained budget-neutral staff.
NYU HEALTHCARE CORPORATION, East Coast, NY
1200 bed health care system including University Medical Center, a 530 bed tertiary care hospital level I trauma center; 589 bed skilled nursing facility, 7 community health centers and 80 specialized clinics.
Project Manager / Director of Patient Access Services, 08/2001 – 06/2006. Two year engagement.
Hired to transform Patient Access services and infrastructure and work flow processes. Reached out to physician practices to identify opportunities for improvement and delivered on these promises..
- Developed and established departmental infrastructure, policies and procedures and supporting work flow and process for Patient Access Services establishing metrics, KPI’s and a culture of CQI.
- Initiated joint initiative teams comprising of front end and billing supervisors and staff to review and work cases, access service performance in obtaining complete, accurate information.
- Eliminated administrative payment denials and eliminated day of surgery cancellations to nearly zero percent by integrating appointment scheduling, and pre-registration / financial screening: resulting in superior customer service and significantly enhanced revenue.
- Developed and implemented a new workflow identifying Medicaid Utilization Threshold resulting in a savings of $350 thousand per quarter.
- IT Development: Managed and installed enterprise IT systems software and programs including enhancement, interface and installation meeting and exceed corporate and compliance goals, resulting in successful implementations.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL OF BROOKLYN, DOWNSTATE MEDICAL CENTER
SUNY HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER, Brooklyn, NY
376 acute care beds serving Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island and regional referral center for Neonatology, Transplantation and Pediatric Hemodialysis.
Director, Admissions/Administrator on Duty, 1991 – 2000
Oversight for admitting/registration activities with responsibilities for patient throughput, revenue cycle, customer (physician and patient) service, and supervised general hospital operations.
- Attained industry recognition for Best Practice in Patient Throughput and Financial Management by University Health System Consortium. Registration processing time was reduced from 30 minutes to immediate check in.
- As lead for enterprise ADT system, managed implementation project resulting in successful implementation.
- Introduced data reporting metrics in supporting decision making and performance management including, physician activity and service performance.
- Developed, built, rolled out start up Pre-Service / Call Center, integrating processes to ensure OR readiness, excellence in quality, access service and patient experience resulting in marked decrease in surgery cancelations, delays and eliminated administrative payment denials.
- Marketed program and services to physicians via individual contact and Physician Newsletters resulting in both increasing elective referrals and improved market share.
NEW YORK HOSPITAL, Queens, Flushing, NY
519 beds acute care hospital with active Level I Trauma Center with 121,000 emergency visits.
Director of Admissions / Coordinator, Hospital Information Systems, 1982 – 1991
Managed and directed admitting / registration activities.
- Significantly improved patient through-put and financial documentation for 26,000 annual inpatient admissions with high inpatient utilization referred through active Level I Regional Trauma Center.
- As project coordinator, installed computer applications and re-assessed hardware needs for Inpatient Admissions, Outpatient clinics and Emergency Department Registration.
- Served on team to design, implement and develop, and went on to manage a new pre-service center / call center, significantly reducing inefficiencies, increasing customer satisfaction and positively impacting reimbursement and length of stay.
NEW YORK CITY HEALTH & HOSPITAL CORPORATION, Queens Hospital Center, Jamaica, NY Administrator on Duty, 1982 – 1990
Chief Administrative Officer responsible for operations of the Medical Center, including active Emergency Department, OR, inpatient, outpatient, ancillary and support services during tour of duty.
WYCKOFF HEIGHTS HOSPITAL, Brooklyn, NY
Director of Admissions, 1978 – 1982
Managed admitting, financial counseling, patient transportation and completed administrative projects.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION
Certificate in Project Management, May 2014, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY
MA, Communications, 1975, Columbia University, New York, NY
BA, Speech, 1974, York College, City University of New York, Jamaica, NY
Academic Appointments; Certification; Certified Healthcare Access Manager (CHAM), National Association of Healthcare Access Management; Publication and other professional activities.
The Hutton Group, Inc.
1855 Bridgepointe Cir, Ste #23
Vero Beach, FL 32967